Week 32: Key change in my professional practice
CISC 8100
Week 32 - Activity 8: Key change in my professional practice
Task: A reflection on a Key change in my professional practice from my Mind Lab journey relating to the theme ‘Design for Learning from “Our Code, Our Standards” using Rolfe’s model of reflection (2001).
Step 1 (What):
The main change in my professional practice over the last 32 weeks in relation to “Our Code, Our Standards,” links to the Design for Learning standard. Through this course I have grown in my knowledge and understanding of being a future focussed educator who understands more about, and am designing learning to prepare my students with the 21st Century Design for Learning Skills. Prior to this course my pedagogical understanding of these concepts was not clearly evident Since embarking on the course I have begun to research further and plan specific activities for my students to develop these skills. I can see small shifts beginning to take place and believe my students and I have now begun a journey into the 21st century.
As the literacy leader, my study through The Mind Lab has also encouraged me to take more risks in my leadership and build on working more collaboratively with my colleagues. Together we have undertaken a whole school collaborative inquiry in writing using the Timperly Spiral of Inquiry model I had been shown during the course. Together we have studied the model, shared our pedagogical understandings around writing and are now on the ‘Focussing’ stage of the cycle. We are working together more and utilising each other’s strengths to improve learning outcomes for our students.
Step 2 (Now what):
Evaluate the identified change using the (1993) Osterman and Kottkamp experiential learning cycle.
As mentioned above an issue I identified early in my Mind Lab journey has been the specific planning and teaching of collaboration between students. Once aware the issue, I discussed it with my colleagues and provided one of the readings to support the conversation. As a school we are now ensuring we address the 21st century skills in our planning and sharing ideas on what we are already doing and what we can do next. Teaching these skills specifically is still in its early stages but we can already see shifts across the school.
As students develop these skills we can introduce deeper levels of how they are used. By collaborating on a shared TAI we are developing a deeper understanding of our learner’s needs and barriers. By continuing on this cycle we have identified the problem, gathered data, have undertaken many observations and developed hunches. We are at the beginning of the process of re conceptualization and are developing ideas about how our learners learn best and asking what works for them in order to personalise their learning.
In developing our collaboration skills as a teaching team we are better supporting our learners and by harnessing the skills of the whole team we are growing in strength and trust.
Step 3 (What next)
Share your next plan(s) regarding your future professional development or your future practice.
After all of the research and readings I have done I was surprised I had not been to any professional development (PD), specifically pertaining to this before. When I realised some of the research suggesting implementation of this was at least 10 years old I was surprised at how far behind the research suggestions many schools must be and thankful I have become more aware of the strength of pedagogy.
The plans I am developing for the future are to continue to work collaboratively with staff as we move into a Modern Learning Environment and Design rich planning with tasks to develop all of the 21st Century skills our students need. I plan to continue to develop personalised learning for all of the students in the space I teach as well as continue to learn more about my students through our collaborative TAI journey.
It is my prediction that after our first cycle of the Timperly Spiral of Inquiry we will continue it until we see the best way to develop our writing across the school and can see it showing success. Now that we are on this journey I plan to advocate for it to continue.
I would also love to continue my own PD by moving into further studies focusing on personalised and play based learning.
Week 32 - Activity 8: Key change in my professional practice
Task: A reflection on a Key change in my professional practice from my Mind Lab journey relating to the theme ‘Design for Learning from “Our Code, Our Standards” using Rolfe’s model of reflection (2001).
Step 1 (What):
The main change in my professional practice over the last 32 weeks in relation to “Our Code, Our Standards,” links to the Design for Learning standard. Through this course I have grown in my knowledge and understanding of being a future focussed educator who understands more about, and am designing learning to prepare my students with the 21st Century Design for Learning Skills. Prior to this course my pedagogical understanding of these concepts was not clearly evident Since embarking on the course I have begun to research further and plan specific activities for my students to develop these skills. I can see small shifts beginning to take place and believe my students and I have now begun a journey into the 21st century.
As the literacy leader, my study through The Mind Lab has also encouraged me to take more risks in my leadership and build on working more collaboratively with my colleagues. Together we have undertaken a whole school collaborative inquiry in writing using the Timperly Spiral of Inquiry model I had been shown during the course. Together we have studied the model, shared our pedagogical understandings around writing and are now on the ‘Focussing’ stage of the cycle. We are working together more and utilising each other’s strengths to improve learning outcomes for our students.
Step 2 (Now what):
Evaluate the identified change using the (1993) Osterman and Kottkamp experiential learning cycle.
As mentioned above an issue I identified early in my Mind Lab journey has been the specific planning and teaching of collaboration between students. Once aware the issue, I discussed it with my colleagues and provided one of the readings to support the conversation. As a school we are now ensuring we address the 21st century skills in our planning and sharing ideas on what we are already doing and what we can do next. Teaching these skills specifically is still in its early stages but we can already see shifts across the school.
As students develop these skills we can introduce deeper levels of how they are used. By collaborating on a shared TAI we are developing a deeper understanding of our learner’s needs and barriers. By continuing on this cycle we have identified the problem, gathered data, have undertaken many observations and developed hunches. We are at the beginning of the process of re conceptualization and are developing ideas about how our learners learn best and asking what works for them in order to personalise their learning.
In developing our collaboration skills as a teaching team we are better supporting our learners and by harnessing the skills of the whole team we are growing in strength and trust.
Step 3 (What next)
Share your next plan(s) regarding your future professional development or your future practice.
After all of the research and readings I have done I was surprised I had not been to any professional development (PD), specifically pertaining to this before. When I realised some of the research suggesting implementation of this was at least 10 years old I was surprised at how far behind the research suggestions many schools must be and thankful I have become more aware of the strength of pedagogy.
The plans I am developing for the future are to continue to work collaboratively with staff as we move into a Modern Learning Environment and Design rich planning with tasks to develop all of the 21st Century skills our students need. I plan to continue to develop personalised learning for all of the students in the space I teach as well as continue to learn more about my students through our collaborative TAI journey.
It is my prediction that after our first cycle of the Timperly Spiral of Inquiry we will continue it until we see the best way to develop our writing across the school and can see it showing success. Now that we are on this journey I plan to advocate for it to continue.
I would also love to continue my own PD by moving into further studies focusing on personalised and play based learning.
Comments
Post a Comment