Week 31: Indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness in my practice

CISC 8100
Week 31 – Activity 7: Indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness in my practice
Task: Create a reflective entry to demonstrate your critical understanding of indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness.

Step 1 (What): My understanding indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness in my practice is something that I have worried about doing well enough since the beginning of my teaching journey and remains the focus of my classroom practice. Culturally responsive pedagogy is defined by Gay (2001, p.106) as “using the cultural characteristics, experiences and perspectives as conduits for effective teaching”. It is reflected in five elements including knowledge about cultural diversity, the culturally integrated content in the curriculum, the development of the learning community, the ability to communicate with culturally diverse students and culturally responsive delivery of instruction.
The focus for me is communication methods and learning activities.
My fear is that my communication or learning activities unknowingly assimilates my Māori students into a European way of life, suggesting it is superior by overriding Maori values and beliefs as described by Faolan Jones in an EdTalk by Dr Ann Milne (2017). Would I know if this was happening? Communication with those directly involved and reflection of my programme would help me answer this question.
Our spaces need to fit the children’s needs not the other way around. I have always felt this is one way I can support my learners. Teaching specifically to the needs, cultures, and values each child brings with them.
This requires everything I have to offer and more. Being the parent of a Maori/ European child working her way through the education system I have been keenly aware of how children feel they fit or don’t fit in which causes me to regularly adjust my lens.
Best fit learning must be developed through clear communication with each child and with whānau input. Knowing your learner means you can plan for your learner’s success.
While an overwhelming task, it is a non-negotiable in teaching and must be at the forefront of everything we do to be highly effective.

Step 2 (So what?):
If the system doesn’t work for all our students change it! I agree with Milne (2017), who talks about the fact we have had plenty of time to change things in education.
No child should be disenfranchised or feel they shouldn’t succeed based on their race. The fact they do is a disgrace! I don’t know one teacher who thinks this or deliberately plans for this but to think it may be subtly built into my practice horrifies me. I need to become more critical of my programme. I will reflect on Milne (2017), by embracing my student’s cultural identity at every opportunity through curriculum and learning activities as I plan for Term 3. Reflecting on the activities planned this year I have used the knowledge gathered from my learners, particularly what my Māori students have wanted to learn about. A deep seated belief that underpins my pedagogy is that children learn when they are valued. Much of what I do is around building the beliefs of “I can do this” in my students and giving them the tools to take risks in their learning. Using the Action continuum below I can see aspects of what I do in purple and green, however the most important question is how do I plan to move into the red? I will be meticulously looking through Bishop’s 6 things a highly effective educator does (EdTalks, 2012) to make sure I teach in an agentic way. I also look at what wrap around support our staff are given to make sure we are doing this.

Step 3 (What next).
I will revisit much of the research I have used in this blog to ensure my practices align with creating successful learning environment for my Māori students.
If I am to do it well and I will share it with my colleagues so we can support each other to do it successfully.
If I succeed in this task I can begin to move into the red on the above continuum. I know my school is focused on this and wants to do what is right for all of our students and especially our Māori students.
I know we see our students as highly educable already and want to develop who they are as individuals and as a collective by building Whanaungatanga.
If education is not working for our Māori students we need to find a better way. It is up to us!

References:
Russell Bishop, R. Edtalks.(2012, September 23). A culturally responsive pedagogy of relations. [video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/49992994 Gay,G. (2002). Preparing for culturally responsive teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 53(2),106-116. Three educators talk what culturally relevant pedagogy means and what does not. Teaching Tolerance.( 2010, Jun 17).Introduction to Culturally Relevant Pedagogy.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTVjJuRaZ8
Milne, A. 2017, 17 October). CORE Education: Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools.[video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTvi5qxqp4&feature=em-subs_diges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 18: Future Oriented Teaching and Learning

Week 19: Communities of Practice