Week 29:Social Networks

CISC 8100
Week 29: Activity 5: Social Networks
Task: A reflective entry critically discussing the use of social media in my professional development.
Jay and Johnson’s 2002 reflective model

Step 1 (Descriptive Stage): I see myself as a connected educator and use social media to support my professional development on a needs basis. Since I was enlightened of its existence I have used TKI the online portal, the hubs within it and read many of the articles and research within it. In the past few years I have used Facebook closed educator groups to upskills myself on areas such as autism and dyslexia. I have undertaken PD on using See Saw to engage students and involve parents. I have been involved in collegial discussions on a New Zealand Teacher’s page on play based learning and teaching in modern learning environments. I use Twitter to follow professional development providers and other connected educators. From these tweets I take up offers of free and pay as you go PD sessions on current issues in teaching and pedagogy. I have undertaken The Mind Lab digital citizenship license and the postgraduate certificate. Through this I have joined the google plus community which gives me another connection to my PLN. I watch Ted Ed talks on current teaching ideas and styles and use You Tube to learn many things such as learning how to use google sheets to plan collaboratively. This year I undertook online PD on Growth Mindset to prepare myself to roll this philosophy out to my class. I am also a member of the virtual learners network (VLN) and the Pond. I believe my journey into being a connected learner has developed slowly as my professional development needs and interests have been identified.

Step 2 (Comparative Stage): Reflect on alternatives and other viewpoints or in light of research.
I see in the peer responses social and personal networks are the highest used followed by social forums and communities then videos and blogs. I am a user in all of these too and so hit the norms of the results. It was interesting Twitter was at 42.6% as while I use twitter it is more like I hang around it retweeting a few posts and reading through the links without actively tweeting myself unless it is something I am personally or directly involved in. I joined Twitter many years ago at a literacy conference and enjoyed following some of the speakers ongoing tweets but then drifted away from it.
An aspect I would like to improve on is understanding how to navigate Twitter better and be a more active contributor. At the moment I tend to “lurk” on this platform, Melhuish (2013) and feel a little daunted by contributing too many of my own thoughts ‘in front of’ many respected educators. I use Twitter to confirm what I do in my own practice is relevant and up to date, as well as to improve it further. I find platforms such as the Facebook Wellington 2017 Mind Lab page and the NZ Primary teachers closed page offers a more relaxed and like-minded conversations on topics of current interest or relevance to me.

Step 3 (Critical Reflection):
The reason I would like to improve my use of Twitter is to increase my risk taking when trying new teaching practices. “Educators who grow a strong network on Twitter know it is important to show their face to the world.” (Whitaker, Zoul & Casas, 2015).
The next step according to Whitaker et. al. is form to create a short biography and share links to my Facebook and blog. I need to remember, “It is imperative that you begin to shift your mindset beyond negative thoughts of’ why would anyone care what I have to say?’ and begin to take pride in the fact that you do have unique talents and experiences.” (Whitaker, Zoul & Casas, 2015).
I need to connect more with the people I follow. Follow 5, Find 5, Take 5 on Twitter as described by (Whitaker, Zoul & Casas, 2015).
The implications for me would be to collaborate with colleagues across New Zealand and perhaps further on best practices for teaching in a play based modern learning environment. This is something I am currently working on in a small school setting where I am the only full time teacher at my class level. This is also an area I would enjoy researching further and through the online mediums discussed I believe my profession development would be enriched.

References:
Whitaker, T., Zoul, J., & Casas, J. (2015). What connected educators do differently. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com Created from unitec on 2018-05-30 20:30:22.
Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002). Capturing complexity: A typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 18: Future Oriented Teaching and Learning

Week 19: Communities of Practice